Obtain ILR Today

Secure UK indefinite leave to remain status by working with our award-winning central London immigration lawyers. We can hold your hand throughout the entire process to help you achieve the outcome you desire from your ILR application.

Our Success Stories

Google Reviews Feefo Reviews The Law Society

Indefinate Leave To Remain Solicitors

If you are interested in securing indefinite leave to remain in the UK, our experienced immigration specialists at Cranbrook Legal can advise and manage your case from the start to finish. We have a high success rate of getting our clients accepted by the Home Office for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) status.

Individuals who have been approved for ILR are entitled to stay in the UK without being subject to any time limit. If you have ILR and your home is in the UK, you will be regarded as having settled in the UK.

With there being several potential routes to settling in the UK, it is important that if you are serious about obtaining ILR, you partner with the most capable indefinite leave to remain solicitors. Our seasoned experts in UK immigration law can help ensure you meet the Home Office’s requirements for ILR, so that you get approved for this status at the first attempt.

Book your consultation today with our indefinite leave to remain UK lawyers to talk to us about how we can assist you with every aspect of your ILR application.

Recent Indefinite Leave To Remain Success Stories

How can you help me obtain Indefinite Leave To Remain ( ILR )?

With our more than 25 years’ experience in the UK immigration sector, and expertise in all forms of immigration, our indefinite leave to remain UK solicitors are excellently placed to assist when you apply for ILR. We provide a highly professional, friendly and responsive service for a pre-agreed fixed fee, which will give you financial certainty when preparing your application.

We are known for our impeccable attention to detail, and the situation is no different when it comes to ILR applications. This enables us to quickly identify what may be presently blocking you from applying for ILR, so that you can meet the requirements for this route. Our lawyers are also skilled in gathering the necessary documents for an ILR application, which can include assisting with obtaining any required documents from the Home Office that the client might not have.

At every stage, we will handle your case with the utmost care, dignity and transparency. For help with everything from satisfying the eligibility requirements to completing and submitting the Home Office’s indefinite leave to remain application form, simply contact our immigration experts today.

What is Indefinite Leave To Remain?

‘Indefinite leave to remain’, also known as settling in the UK, is a status that enables you to stay in the UK without any time restrictions.

Securing indefinite leave to remain status would give you the right to work in the UK in any business, profession or employment, including self-employment. You will still be required to comply with the law and any statutory regulations that apply to your chosen business, profession or employment.If you intend to live or work on the Isle of Man or Channel Islands, you are urged to first consult those islands’ immigration authorities.

Having ILR would also leave you free to embark on a course of study in the UK.

Please note that those with ILR status who stay outside the UK for two years or more at a time will see their indefinite leave lapse; this period is five years or more for those who have been granted settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Finally, ILR can also provide a route to British citizenship. To be eligible to apply for citizenship, you are normally required to have lived in the UK for a minimum of 12 months after being granted leave. Contact our immigration lawyers now to learn more about the other requirements you will need to meet for British citizenship.

What are the different ways to obtain ILR?

You have the right to apply for indefinite leave to remain if you have spent 10 continuous years in the UK legally; this period is also referred to as ‘long residence’. The other eligibility requirements for this are detailed below.

Individuals holding any of the below visas may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years:

Depending on your chosen visa, it may even be possible for you to apply for ILR via an accelerated two-year or three-year route. This could be the case if you are on one of the below visas:

  • UK Investor visa
  • Global Talent visa or the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa

Finally, it is important to note that in certain immigration categories, the applicant may be able to rely on time spent across multiple categories in order to become eligible for ILR after 5 years.

To find out more about the route to settling in the UK that you could take, please do not hesitate to book a consultation with our indefinite leave to remain lawyers.

What are the requirements for ILR

If you are interested in applying for ILR through long residence, you must first have permission to stay in the UK, which is known as ‘leave to remain’.

You will also need to have:

  • Been in the UK legally for a minimum of 10 years (your ‘continuous residence’)
  • Complied with the terms of your UK visa

Applicants aged between 18 and 65 years old will also need to:

  • Pass the UK Government’s Life in the UK Test
  • Prove their English language skills are sufficient

If you do not meet the aforementioned two requirements, you can apply to extend your long residence.

Your 10-year qualifying period will begin from either:

  • When you arrived in the UK with a visa
  • When the Home Office gave you permission to stay in the UK

It is crucial to ensure you have fulfilled the continuous residence requirement if you would like to apply for indefinite leave to remain for the UK. The term ‘continuous residence’ refers to the period of time for which you have stayed in the UK without gaps.

You are allowed to leave the UK during your continuous residence period for up to:

  • 180 days at a time
  • 540 days in total

Applicants are not permitted to count time spent in:

  • A prison, young offender institution, or secure hospital
  • Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands

The Home Office’s indefinite leave to remain fee is £2,389 for applicants; a further charge of £100 to £200 applies in order to have biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.

Why Customers Love Us ?

What is the English Language Requirement?

Those aged between 18 and 65 years old who are looking to submit a UK indefinite leave to remain application on the basis of long residence will need to prove that they have sufficient skills in the English language.

You can prove that you fulfil this requirement by having either:

  • An English language qualification at B1, B2, C1 or C2 level
  • A degree taught or researched in English

There are certain circumstances in which you will not be required to prove your English knowledge, such as if you are unable to do so due to a long-term physical or mental condition. In this case, you will need to provide a completed exemption form from a doctor confirming your condition.

Applicants who are citizens of the following nations will also not need to prove their knowledge of English:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • Malta
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • The United States of America

There are further exemptions from the requirement to prove English language knowledge for settlement applications. These include if you are applying as:

  • A victim of domestic violence as the partner or spouse of a British citizen or someone settled in the UK
  • The partner or spouse of someone who has died who was a British citizen or settled in the UK
  • An adult dependent relative, aged from 18 to 64, of someone who is present and settled in the UK, is a refugee or has humanitarian protection
  • A refugee living in the UK
  • Someone living in the UK with discretionary leave
  • Someone living in the UK with humanitarian protection
  • Someone who has permission to stay in the UK as a retired person of independent means
  • A Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces, including Gurkhas
  • Someone in exceptional circumstances, such as an orphan, widow or over-age dependant

For more tailored indefinite leave to remain guidance, advice and assistance, please make an enquiry today with our specialists in immigration law.

What is the Life in the UK Test?

If you are looking to apply for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of long residence, and you are aged from 18 to 65 years old, one of the requirements will be to pass the UK Government’s Life in the UK Test.

The Life in the UK Test is also sometimes referred to as the ‘British citizenship test’, as it is also a requirement for those applying for British citizenship. The test was introduced to make sure applicants for settlement and citizenship have a good knowledge of British customs, traditions, laws and the political system, together with the English language.

You will not be permitted to apply for ILR until you have passed the Life in the UK Test.

Would-be applicants for ILR are required to book their Life in the UK Test online a minimum of three days in advance, paying a £50 fee. There are more than 30 test centres in the UK, and you will be able to choose where to take your test when you book.

The test will give you 45 minutes to answer 24 questions about British traditions and customs. It will test you on information in the official handbook for the Life in the UK Test, which our indefinite leave to remain solicitors advise you to study as preparation for the test. The handbook is available in physical book, eBook, e-learning subscription and audio formats.

As aforementioned, it will not be necessary for you to take the Life in the UK Test if you are under 18 or over 65. You also won’t need to take the test if you have previously passed it, or if you have a long-term physical or mental condition. If the latter is the case, you will be expected to provide a form or letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition.

Why Choose Us For Your Indefinite Leave To Remain?

We Are Dedicated

We Are Committed

We Are Professional

We Are Result Driven

We Are Strategic Thinkers

We Are Commercially Aware

Contact our Immigration Solicitors In London on 0208 215 0053 or
via info@cranbrooklegal.com to make your enquiry.

What documents are required for an ILR application?

When you are looking to apply for indefinite leave to remain on the strength of your long residence in the UK, you will need to provide the Home Office with the below documents:

  • A current passport or other valid travel ID
  • Your biometric residence permit (BRP), if you have one
  • All the passports you have held while in the UK

If any of the documents you need to supply are in a language other than English or Welsh, you must arrange for acertified translation of these.

There are further documents that you may be expected to supply, depending on your circumstances.

Here at Cranbrook Legal, we can assist in obtaining documents from the Home Office if you do not have them. For more tailored guidance and information in relation to the necessary indefinite leave to remain documents, please contact our immigration specialists today. You can also call us on 0208 215 0053.

How can I transfer my ILR stamp to a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Card

A biometric residence permit, or BRP, can serve as confirmation of your identity and your right to study or work in the UK, as well as your right to any of the public services or benefits to which you are entitled. You will normally receive a BRP if you apply to settle in the UK.

Your BRP will include the following details:

  • Your name, date and place of birth
  • Your biometric information, consisting of your fingerprints and a photo of your face
  • Your immigration status and any conditions attached to your stay
  • Whether you have the right to access public funds, such as benefits and health services

If you have secured indefinite leave to remain but do not yet have a BRP, it is possible to make a No Time Limit (NTL) application to transfer ILR to a BRP.

There isn’t a specific time to make an NTL application; provided that you have ILR, you will be able to apply at a time of your choosing.

You can make an application when:

  • Your passport containing an indefinite leave to enter (ILE), ILR or NTL endorsement has been lost, stolen or has expired
  • You have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, but you lack any documentary evidence to confirm this – for example, because you were deemed settled in the UK on 1 January 1973, in accordance with the Immigration Act 1971, section 1(2)
  • You have legitimately changed your identity

You will have the right to apply to transfer ILR to a BRP if you fulfil the below eligibility requirements:

  • You have ILE or ILR status in the UK
  • You have not lost your ILE or ILR status (for instance, as a result of being absent from the UK for a continuous period of two years or more since the Home Office granted you ILE or ILR)
  • You are still entitled to ILE or ILR (for example, because the Home Office has not revoked this status from you)

While it isn’t mandatory for someone with an ILR stamp to apply for an NTL BRP, there are several advantages of doing so. For instance, an NTL BRPincorporates advanced security features that are not present on an old-style vignette (sticker), which minimises the likelihood of another person using it fraudulently. It can also facilitate travel between the UK and abroad.

If you wish to apply to transfer an ILR to a BRP, you will have to make this application within the UK on the NTL application form, in addition to paying the associated fee. You will be expected to complete and submit the application form online, as well as have your biometrics – including fingerprints and a photo – taken.

Would you like to begin your journey to settling in the UK, and wish to maximise your chances of a successful outcome from your application? If so, please do not hesitate to arrange a consultation with our award-winning and experienced indefinite leave to remain solicitors.

What Our Customers Say About Us

How Can We Help You?

I would like to speak to Cranbrook Legal on the telephone.

0208 215 0053

I do not know what my immigration needs are and need to discuss my requirements.

Book A Free Consultation

I know what my immigration needs are, so I would to discuss my case.

Book An Appointment