Secondment Worker Visa

The Secondment Worker visa is one of the categories that falls under the Global Business Mobility route. Its main purpose is to provide secondment workers with a pathway into the UK for temporary work.

Our Success Stories

Google Reviews Feefo Reviews The Law Society

Secondment Worker Visa for the UK

Right now, the UK Government is determined to help improve the country’s economy by encouraging UK-based businesses to grow. One of the ways to do this is to encourage new talent or workers looking for new opportunities to come over to the UK for temporary work or to ultimately settle down in the future.

Although the Secondment Worker route is not a way for applicants to eventually apply for indefinite leave to remain, it does provide a good starting point to come to the UK for employment opportunities.

Secondment Worker visa UK Government rules state that this route must abide by the current immigration point system. The points system is essentially a tally of points that is used to measure whether or not the applicant is suitable for living in the UK. For the Secondment Worker visa route, 40 points are needed to obtain a successful visa. Just don’t forget that there will be additional requirements for this pathway.

If you are interested in applying for the UK Secondment Worker visa, you will be pleased to know that Cranbrook Legal is ready to help you get started. Not only are we based in the heart of London, but our team has a combined experience of 25 years within the immigration sector.

For the Secondment Worker visa, UK Government rules are mainly there to help the UK’s economy expand through the temporary recruitment of workers from abroad. We intend to help with this vision through our dynamic and progressive mindset. This is why we have already helped so many individuals and businesses get their start in the UK. For the UK Secondment Worker visa in particular, we are ready to help you come over to the UK for your chance for temporary employment.

Not only can our immigration team help you with organising your application and document collection, but they can handle any tricky paperwork that may leave you feeling confused as a Secondment Worker. Our specialists can provide you advice through a consultation to get you started. They can also answer any additional questions you may have about the Secondment Worker Visa process.

Speak to Cranbrook Legal today to find out how we can help you by calling 0208 215 0053. One of our Secondment Worker visa solicitors will then talk you through your visa options.

Recent Sole Representative Visa Success Stories

How can we help you obtain a UK Secondment Worker visa?

As we have already mentioned, Cranbrook Legal is located in the heart of London and has over 25 years’ experience when it comes to helping clients. We like to keep an open mind and use this mindset to help our clients obtain their visa of choice. So, if you intend to apply for the Secondment Worker visa, we will help you go to the UK to move forward with your temporary employment. You will be able to establish your presence within your industry while helping to grow a UK-based business.

Not only can Cranbrook Legal’s expert Secondment Worker visa solicitors provide you with personalised advice to get you started with your visa application, but they can help with the collection of any documentation or evidence to backup your visa submission. Your immigration lawyer can also fill out the application on your behalf. That way, simple mistakes can be avoided that could ultimately invalidate your Secondment Worker visa application. We can help you establish a budget when it comes to your visa application, and understand what type of fees you may have to pay in order to obtain a visa successfully.

By working with our team of Secondment Worker visa lawyers, you will be supported throughout the application process. You will have an experienced specialist on your side who can answer all of your questions. It’s always wise to have a seasoned solicitor ready to help you obtain your visa. That way, the process can move forward smoothly, and you can feel like you have followed all Home Office procedures accordingly.

What is a UK Secondment Worker visa?

If you require a UK Secondment visa, you are a worker from abroad that has an overseas employer who is transferring your employment to a business in the UK.

In order to complete this job, your overseas employer must obtain a high-value contract with a recognised UK company. If your overseas employer does have a high-value contract, they will tell you that you are eligible for this type of Secondment Worker visa route. If you are unsure about it, your solicitor can find out on your behalf.

To put it more bluntly, the basic definition for the UK Secondment Worker visa is that it is for an employee that works overseas who wants to be seconded by a UK business. The employee’s employer will approve of this due to their high-value contract or overall investment.

This type of visa falls under the Global Business Mobility route. It is one out of five routes that can be utilised for workers from abroad to temporarily come over to the UK for work. The additional routes for this visa include:

  • Senior/Specialist Worker
  • Graduate Trainee
  • UK Expansion Worker
  • Service Supplier

All routes within the Global Business Mobility route have different criteria that need to be fulfilled. This includes varied types of evidence, documentation and applications. The one thing that they have in common is that they are all temporary visa routes. So, it’s important to keep in mind that all of these routes don’t actually lead to settlement within the UK or indefinite leave to remain. Instead, you may need to switch visas to ensure you can start living in the UK permanently.

Keep in mind that the UK Secondment Worker visa also allows for employees travelling to the UK to bring their families. This includes partners and dependent children.

What are the requirements for the Secondment Worker visa?

Once you have decided that the Secondment Worker visa is for you, it’s time for you to consider whether or not you are eligible for this type of immigration route. As mentioned previously, for a Secondment Worker visa, UK Government officials have made it clear that a point system must be adhered to. All applicants must reach 40 points. If you do not reach the 40-point minimum, you must look carefully at the criteria and see if there are ways that you can increase the number of points you have.

You can increase the number of points you receive for your Secondment Worker visa application by adhering to certain criteria. The more criteria you can tick off your list, the more likely it is that you will be eligible for the Secondment Worker visa, because each criterion carries a certain number of immigration points.

With that established, let’s talk about what would make you eligible for the Secondment Worker visa. Criteria for the Secondment Worker visa include:

  • Being over 18 years old
  • Being an employee of an overseas corporation that maintains a high-value contract with a UK-based business
  • Having a Certificate of Sponsorship from your UK employer. They will act as your sponsor and will provide details of the type of work that you plan to undertake
  • Having worked with your employer from abroad for at least 12 months before you apply for a visa
  • Having a job that is on the Home Office’s list of approved occupations
  • Having evidence that the job you are undertaking is completely genuine
  • The job you undertake being at RQF Level 6 (aka. graduate level)
  • Being financially independent while in the UK without having to rely on UK public funds.
  • Being able to provide a TB report
  • Having a strong command of the English Language (in reading, writing, speaking and listening)

Each of these criteria will have a number of points attached to them, so you should make sure to try and fulfil all of them. This will make it much easier for you when you start your UK Secondment Worker visa application. Just keep in mind that the criteria may differ when it comes to different personal circumstances. Some people may be asked to fulfil more criteria than others, especially if they are coming to the UK to take on a senior role in a company.

What Documents are required for the Secondment Worker Visa?

As is the case with any other type of Global Business Mobility visa, you will be asked to provide documents to prove that you are eligible to come over to the UK to take on temporary work.

The Secondment Worker visa route requires you to provide standard documents to prove your identity, including your passport, birth certificate and any qualifications awarded to you from your university, school or previous apprenticeships.

If you are successful in your UK Secondment Worker visa application, you will also be asked to have your biometric information taken as a way to prove your identity. You will need to visit a visa application centre to have your fingerprint and photograph taken. You can then access your biometrics online.

Now that we have gone over the basics, it is also important that you have evidence of your employment with your overseas employer and UK-based sponsor. This can be through your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Once a high-value contract has been formed between your UK sponsor and overseas employer, your UK sponsor will be able to provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship. This will be an electronic record that you can access online to prove that you have been with the company for at least 12 months prior.

Don’t forget that if you want your Certificate of Sponsorship, you will need to apply for it at least three months in advance of your Secondment Worker visa application. If you apply for it too early or too late, you will find that it will invalidate your visa application. The Certificate of Sponsorship will also detail the eligibility of your job with regard to the career list decided by the UK Home Office.

In addition to your Certificate of Sponsorship, it is wise to have proof of your qualifications to show that you are qualified for the job you are going to undertake in the UK. This includes any qualifications that you have undertaken to improve your English skills.

In order to prove that you will be financially stable when you come to the UK, you need to show that you have at least £1,270 in your bank account at least 28 days in advance. This can be through a bank statement or letter from your employer. After all, there may be times where your UK sponsor will actually pay for your accommodation and living costs. You will find this information on your Certificate of Sponsorship. So, make sure to read this electronic document carefully.

Speaking to your solicitor about the documents required for your UK Secondment Worker visa will help you keep organised. As these specialists are used to helping to simplify the immigration process, you will find that they will always know if you are missing any important documents that could affect the outcome of your visa application.

Why Customers Love Us ?

Who will Sponsor me for the Secondment Worker Visa?

As we previously stated, once your overseas employer has created a high-value contract or investment with your UK sponsor, you will find that your UK sponsor will invest in you for your Secondment Worker visa. The level of sponsorship will depend on the type of business you are working for. In some cases, they may only fund your move to the UK, however others may be more generous and support you by paying for your living costs.

Speak to your UK sponsor to find out how willing they would be to help you when you come over to the UK. That way, you can feel confident about going down the Secondment Worker visa route. Just make sure to talk to your solicitor if you feel unsure about how supportive your sponsor will actually be when you travel over to start your work.

Is there a minimum salary requirement for the Secondment Worker Visa?

When you go down the Secondment Worker visa route, you will find that there is not a minimum salary requirement to fulfil. Instead, the sponsor is expected to adhere to a general salary or a wage that is going at the most common rate. This is also known as a “going rate.”

It’s still wise to note down the salary you have been receiving from your UK sponsor and your overseas employer. The wage that you receive may help you prove that you can be financially independent, especially if you can show wage slips.

Why Choose Us For Your Secondment Worker Visa?

We Are Dedicated

We Are Committed

We Are Professional

We Are Result Driven

We Are Strategic Thinkers

We Are Commercially Aware

Contact our Immigration Solicitors In London on 0208 215 0053 or
via to make your enquiry.

What are the costs of applying for a Secondment Worker visa?

One of the most important duties of UK Secondment Worker visa solicitors is to help the applicant understand how much a visa will cost in relation to its fees. That way, the applicant can budget accordingly.

If you are lucky enough to have a UK sponsor that is willing to fund your Secondment Worker visa or your costs of living in the UK, you may find that you will not lose any money at all. Instead, you will be able to spend your hard-earned wage on yourself.

Unfortunately, not all sponsors are this generous. This is why it is important to familiarise yourself with costs and fees associated with the UK Secondment Worker visa. The costs go as follows:

  • Application fees: £259
  • Healthcare Surcharge: £624 per annum

Of course, there may be some additional fees that occur throughout the application process. If your Secondment Worker visa solicitor learns of any new fees that you may encounter during your immigration journey, you will be told about them as quickly as possible. That way, you can keep in control of your finances during the application process.


Can I switch into another visa category without returning to my home country?

As the Secondment Worker visa is not a permanent way for you to settle within the UK, there are alternative routes available that you can switch your visa category to without having to return to your home country.

Keep in mind that if you switch visa categories, you will need to update your documentation, application and occupation code. There may also be additional fees acquired if you decide to change your visa. Any family or loved ones with you will have to switch their visa categories separately.

Don’t forget that you shouldn’t update your visa for any type of new job until around three months before the old visa expires. Even if you have the same sponsor, it is important to let the visa run its course before the new one takes effect. When you have received permission that you are eligible to work in the UK on your new visa, you will be allowed to get started with your new job.

What length of visa will I be issued if successful?

When you consider the Secondment Worker visa route, it is important to understand that the length of the visa will depend on your job and how long you are needed for by your UK sponsor. The job should only be temporary, therefore the time you receive to stay in the UK should not be extensive.

Instead, you will find that these are the most common time durations that come with the Secondment Worker visa:

  • 12 months after the starting date of your job. This should be listed in your Certificate of Sponsorship.
  • A detailed length of time in your Certificate of Sponsorship + 14 days

If you need more time in the UK to complete your job, you can ask for a visa extension. If your extension request is successful, you will be allowed to stay in the UK for an extra 12 months. The longest amount of time that you can stay in the UK for on the UK Secondment Worker Visa is two years. However, this may be extended to five years if you have previously been to the UK on a different visa. It all depends on your personal circumstances and whether or not you intend to change from a temporary visa to one that allows you to permanently settle in the UK. Your Secondment Worker visa solicitor can help you with this.

What if my Secondment Worker Visa application is refused?

It can be extremely frustrating for any applicant to have their visa denied to them. After all, it takes a lot of time and effort to put the application together. Try not to worry. You can re-apply for this visa or try and come to the UK on a different visa route.

Your Secondment Worker visa solicitor will take a look at your application and let you know if they spot any mistakes that may have invalidated the visa request. That way, you can have the final decision on what you want to do.

What Our Customers Say About Us

What happens after I receive the Secondment Worker visa?

Once you have received your Secondment Worker visa, you will need to have your biometric information taken to prove your identity. Once this has been sorted, you will be able to move to the UK to get started with your new job.

In the UK, you will be allowed to also undertake voluntary and scholarly work alongside your career.

Keep in mind that this is only a temporary visa. If you intend to settle in the UK, you will need to switch to a different visa once your Secondment Worker visa has expired.

Cranbrook Legal is ready to help with your Secondment Worker visa application

Here at Cranbrook Legal, we are determined to help you secure your Secondment Worker visa. We understand that work opportunities can mean a lot to people. They can further your career and provide you with experience to help you improve your skillset. If a temporary work opportunity has emerged with a UK-based company, you deserve the chance to come over to the UK and help expand that business.

Our Secondment Worker visa solicitors are experts when it comes to the immigration sector. Not only will they provide you with personalised advice when it comes to your case, but they will also ensure your application is free from mistakes that could invalidate it.

If you are ready to get started on the Secondment Worker route, Cranbrook Legal is here to help. Book your appointment through our consultation page or call our immigration team on 0208 215 0053. Our Secondment Worker visa lawyers are here to support you throughout your immigration journey.

Secondment Worker Visa FAQs

1. Will I only be eligible for a Secondment Worker visa if my employer provides me with a “high-value” contract?

If you are thinking about using a Secondment Worker visa to come over to the UK, it is crucial that you are able to fulfil the criteria set out by the UK Government. A “high-value” contract is a contract that states its contracted values surpass its amount of money. For a worker, this means that the work they produce is expected to be worth a large amount of income, therefore they will be able to assist with the economic growth of their business.

With that in mind, for this visa in particular, you will be expected to have a “high-value” contract if you decide to use it to live and work in the UK. Your contract should have a value of around £50 million and be approved by your UK sponsor. If your contract does not have this value, you may be eligible for a different UK visa, such as one of the below options:

  • Skilled Worker visa
  • UK Investor visa
  • Entrepreneur visa
  • Temporary Work visa
  • Global Talent visa

Speak to your Secondment Worker visa solicitor to find out what options are available for you to consider. They can help you get started with applying for the most suitable UK visa.

It is important to understand that the amount of time you need to obtain a Secondment Worker visa will depend on your own circumstances as an applicant. You can apply for your visa three months in advance of the time you are supposed to start working within the UK.

Once the application process is completed, you will need to wait for a decision on your visa. The time scale for this decision may be:

  • Three weeks if you apply for a visa outside of the UK
  • Eight weeks if you apply for a visa within the UK

You can pay a Home Office fee for a faster decision. However, this will also depend on where you apply for the visa from.

If you have been unable to obtain a Secondment Worker visa, don’t worry, you will be able to reapply in the future as many times as you like. This is due to the fact that there are no legal or administrative limits. However, you will have to start a new application.

Although having originally lived in the European Union (EU) shouldn’t change whether or not you should apply for the Secondment Worker visa, it may provide another pathway for you to come to the UK. This is known as the EU Settlement Scheme. Although the deadline for this scheme was in 2021, you could still be eligible to apply through it if:

  • You have been allowed a later deadline, for instance to join family in the UK
  • You have not been able to apply because of “reasonable grounds”, for instance due to domestic abuse or because you were ill.

Speak to your visa solicitor if you are considering a different option to the Secondment Worker visa.

When you come to the UK on a Secondment Worker visa, there are strict rules you will be required to follow if you wish to stay in the country. Your visa will not allow you to: 

  • Apply for a state pension or benefits
  • Apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • Change your job, unless you update your visa
  • Have a second job

Yes, you will have to update your visa if your job changes. This is because your job may require a different occupation code. The UK Government’s website contains all of the job codes. Just keep in mind that your visa must be under the same UK sponsor if you want to remain in the UK.

How Can We Help You?

I would like to speak to Cranbrook Legal on the telephone.

0208 215 0053

I do not know what my immigration needs are and need to discuss my requirements.

Book A Free Consultation

I know what my immigration needs are, so I would to discuss my case.

Book An Appointment